Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Another sign of age or Power Rangers and not the Hulk?!?

If you know who this is, then keep a walker handy.


I dropped by the local PBS station today to say hi to a friend of mine, and while there I check out a true gem that was being shown.

PBS was running the episode of Mr. Rogers where he and Mr. McFeely visit the set of "The Incredible Hulk"! Awwww sweet!!! Talk about a flood of memories..........

Back in the day when I was just a mini sociopath Friday night was the hard-core TV night with my family. It was tuned to CBS and stayed till bedtime. Friday night was Dukes Of Hazzard, The Hulk, and Dallas. My 5-6 year old ass was bolted to the floor for two solid hours of rednecks and green monsters, and then a full hour of me flexing and growling around the house pissing off my folks while they tried to watch Dallas till I was screamed at to get my ass to bed. Oh damn, talk about some good times.

My response to Mr. Rogers was me jumping up and down screaming "Holy shit, the Hulk!!"

All my friend could say was, "The what?"

I was floored for a second. Not recognizing a pop culture icon like Lou Ferrigno in green body paint? Absurd! Then it hit me that my friend is 10 years younger than me. Ok, I'll accept that.

I then tried to explain the wonder and glory that was the Hulk. Bill Bixby sporting the green contacts, Lou's flexing and roaring, and the classic, I mean CLASSIC two part episode where the Hulk fought the evil Hulk (played by Dick Durock, who went on to play Swamp Thing in both the movies. My extent of useless trivia is infinite!!!!).

I then thought back to a couple of weeks ago when the same friend was able to name off all the Power Rangers' names, colors, and special robot they rode or whatever. Ok, I don't know THAT (praise God!!!), and then I started to realize the age gap between me and my friend.

Kind of a letdown when this kind of stuff just comes up and slaps you in the face.

No comments: