Monday, November 06, 2006

Damn it, it's real now!!!

Guess which one I am? Go ahead, make a bald joke I dare ya!


Today was a big friggin day. Drop by the registrars office and hot damn, the final paperwork for graduation went through! No fuss, no muss, no office person having to dig through dusty tomes for bullshit. It's all there!

I picked up the card I gotta take to the ceremony, and the card to pick up the cap and gown. Booked outta the registrars and down to the bookstore.

I hit the bookstore, handed the lady behind the counter the card, and was handed my cap, gown, and tassel. Wow.

I have to admit that when I had that stuff in hand, I started to get a little misty eyed. I threw on my sunglasses (can't see a tough guy crying) and walked to work holding that stuff. While walking, I started thinking about the long road that I've been on to get to this point. Things that I have accomplished, things that I have sacrificed. Times where I had all kinds of self doubt about what I was doing with myself down here, that I must have been half-crazed to uproot myself from my life, relocate to a sleepy college town to finish something that I knew I had to do.

I remembered the reason that I came back to school. I hate to leave something unfinished. I had hit a point in my life where the little voice in the back of my head telling me to go back to school had become a scream that I couldn't ignore. Take the risk, put my life on hold for a couple of years, get this college thing done once and for all. Use the degree or not, it has to be done, period.

I walked into work with all this going through my head, beaming with pride at what I have done, knowing that a little more than a month from now I walk across a stage and receive my degree. Just for the hell of it, I put on the cap and looked in the mirror........

GOOD GOD!!!!! I forgot just how STUPID graduation caps look! Can't I just safety pin the tassel to my black Kangol and go with that? Last order of business, look like a tool to get outta school! Nothing big.

Ah screw it, I'm gonna graduate!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grats, man. Seriously, grats.

Tony said...

That's just nice. Good going dood. Eh, you're the grad you know how to spell it.

satyavati said...

I'm proud of you. Not a lot of people have the balls to finish stuff they start (I'm #1 on that list).
You done good.

Travis said...

Oi fucker!

I knew you could do it. Big rock fist up for you my friend.

Brent said...

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!