Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thoughts on graduation

It's about a quarter till 2 in the morning. I've hit a stopping point in the packing/cleaning of the apartment. Now it's just counting down the hours until I graduate from college.

I was telling a couple of friends that I kinda feel like that old cat from "Shawshank Redemption". I've been here so long that to leave feels odd and strange now, and Lord forbid I'm thinking of ways to stick around A friend pointed out that I'm leaving a social life, work, other friends, etc, that I've had for about three years now.

And that seems right on the money. True, I'll come back to visit to the sleepy little college town, but that's all it will be from now on, visits. I don't shuffle a few blocks away to the apartment now, I hop in the truck and go to wherever home is going to be in the near future.

I think about all that has went down in the time that I've been here at school. Doing something as simple as deciding to finish a college education has had a tremendous amount of highs and lows. When I decided to do this and put the life I had on hold to go through with this, some said that it was a big thing to do. A big risk, a bold step to pull up the roots and settle somewhere else in order to get it done. I never really saw it as something that big. I saw it as something that simply needed to happen, even though it meant not making nay money and being away from friends and family, making spending time with them the visits I talked of earlier.

I look back at this whole event in my life and look at everything that went down from deciding to do this in the first place to where I am today. I am positive that I still would have gone though with this because to me it was something that needed to be done. But there are little things that I would have done a little differently looking back now. I didn't realize them then (and there are too many to mention right now), but now they're as plain as the nose on my face. I guess that's the growth that I've had as a person over this course of time. When you reach a certain age, you stop thinking that you're done learning about life in general, and from here on it's just learning the facts, figures, and calculations to get though the day. That's not the case. I think that I've grown more as a person during my time here than any other time in my life. The second period that would fall would be the time I spent working/hanging out at the Hurricane.

So yeah, this weekend I'm getting a degree (and a whopping student debt), but I feel like I'm walking away from the sleepy little college town with a whole lot more. I know that may sound corny as hell, but that's what it feels like.

And with that, I wanted to add that for the time being my internet access will be very limited. Not like I've been posting a whole lot lately anyway, but for now I have a legit reason.

No comments: