Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Rusty sees "300"



"PREPARE FOR GLORY!"





By a stroke of good luck I was able to snag a pass to an advance screening of "300" tonight, showing in Olathe. I get off work, grab a buddy of mine and we hustle over to Kansas to check it out.

All I can say is WOW. What a beautiful looking movie.

But don't take the kids. People get killed in a harsh way, and there's a little skin.

The story is about a Spartan king who goes out with 300 of his best warriors to secretly take out an invading Persian army that numbers in the tens of thousands because he was told not to wage full on war by the ruling council. All the while back on the home front, his wife, the queen, is trying to muster support for his husband however she can. The story comes from a graphic novel written by Frank Miller who also wrote "Sin City".

Like I said, it's a beautiful movie. I got caught up in the colors and the shooting of the film while watching intense battle scenes. I got so caught up in the look of the film, that seeing something like a guy get run through with a spear or lose a limb (or a head) to a sword seemed like an afterthought.

My hat is off to the director Snyder. He was able to take the original sourcework of illustration and make it look just as good. It takes a lot to take a work from Miller and translate it to the screen and do it justice. Look at "Sin City". Rodriguez was able to take the story and bring it to the screen without flaws, and the look of that was a pretty tall order. Epic battles made that looked like no effort was made to bring it to the screen. Impressive.

You got some free time this weekend? Go check it out.

1 comment:

Xavier Onassis said...

This one is at the top of my list.

But since my girlfriend or daughter won't go see it with me, I'll have to schedule this one on my own.