Friday, April 20, 2007

The "Look" or, "You want to see WHAT???"

Today I picked up my ticket to see Social Distortion in KC next month. Easily one of my favorite bands, this will be I think the sixth time seeing them. I'm so excited it feels like seeing them for the first time again. Any of you guys going to the show gimme a shout, we'll have a beer or something post-show, and shoot the shit and complain that they didn't play a song we wanted to hear live. Can never be too happy. Just kidding. Every time seeing them has been awesome and worth the price of admission.

But this isn't a "Rusty loves Social D so much it's pathetic, he needs to get a life" post. This about the ticket buying experience.

Usually when I want to get tickets, I'll hit the local Macy's to get hooked up. I've done this since I was about 16 seeing as how it was one of the closest places to do it. And most of my close friends will tell you that my musical tastes are all over the map. I'm the kind of guy who can go from listening to Sinatra to N.W.A at the drop of a hat. Putting my iPod on shuffle is an experiment in fear when it will jump from Louie Prima to Motorhead to Marvin Gaye, but I would have it any other way. Hence, the ticket buying can be just as diverse.

When you get to the service desk at the local Macy's to get tickets, it's usually manned by some sweet older lady that you could swear does quilting with your grandmother. Here's where it gets funny. When you roll up to the counter, and polite as you can be, ask for a ticket for a show for a band with and odd or aggressive name. The facial contortions that the sweet old lady makes.......Hard to describe, but I'll try my best.

The first look is them trying to wrap their head around the name when you say someone like Reverend Horton Heat, a little confused and maybe a little amused. The next look is one of anger or disgust if the name is something that is aggressive cause it's immediately assumed you're one of "those people" who is "evil". The next look is that of surrender. The "fine, whatever" look. You all know that face cause we all make it when we pay bills. Cash exchanges hands, tickets are sold, and the sweet old lady waits for the next person to walk up with a jacked up band name to confuse her and make her wish she could just live off her Social Security check and not have to work this job.

Now do this like I usually do, and do it when you're on a break from work and you're dressed pretty nice and unassuming, the look of a former Student Council member. She's smiling all big for you as you walk up to the counter, a gentle demeanor, a warm smile on your face. "Excuse ma'am, I'd like a ticket for Social Distortion." Cue the look aaaaaannnnnnd......NOW!!!

The only reason that this still trips me out is cause I see so many teenagers still hanging out in malls, with the whole Insane Clown Posse shirt, uber baggy pants, and face full of metal studs going on, and I know they buy tickets to all sorts of jacked up stuff. I figure by now that these youngsters have calloused the older women to the crazy band name thing by now, but I guess that's not the case.

At any rate I look at it this way, for the price of a ticket you get two shows, the one you're paying for, and the one you get to just get there. Both are different levels of entertaining. At any rate, see you at the show and good luck buying your ticket.

No comments: