Saturday, October 04, 2014

Randomness about angry comic geeks & the dreamland red light flea market

As I write this I have the flick, "Incident At Loch Ness" going in the background. If you've never seen it please take the time to do so. Funny, thrilling, and underrated mockumentary about Werner Herzog trying to shoot a doc about the Loch Ness Monster that goes very wrong. Today I hit up my local comic joint (Vintage Stock) to trade some comics. One other thing I traded was a copy of the Dark Knight Risers soundtrack. He asked me if the soundtrack, "sucked as bad as the movie". I went on to say no and that I enjoyed both the film and the soundtrack. I got in response the reasons that the movie sucked so bad, one thing in particular was how Bruce Wayne's back was fixed after getting "broken" by Bane. For a little background, that part of the movie is based off the Batman storyline "Knightfall", so I didn't want to counter with how ridiculous Bruce getting his backed fixed in the comic was much less the movie. All I could bring myself to say was, "suspension of disbelief". I really didn't feel like arguing the point, which would have just been a giant circle. One thing about the folks who are into the comic book realm you gotta love and hate is that passion. I don't see others with hobbies with as much passion as comic book collectors, for better or worse. When a comic book person enjoys something, they LOVE it, no if's and's or buts. But if a comic person isn't down with something, you will hear about it, at length, carefully chosen words, documentation, Power Point slides, etc etc................ Don't get me wrong, it's good to commune and share in a mutual love & adoration, but when it comes to opposing viewpoints with a person who isn't going to change their mind...... Well........ At this point in life I realize it's better to not keep arguing and poking the bear. Just being like Jeff Lebowski & giving the response, "Well that's just like, your opinion, man." And just leave it at that. Life's too short to deal with having semi regular "less filling, tastes great" arguments. So for the past few months I've had a more or less reoccurring dream. Not really the same scenario, but the same place. Best I can tell geographically is it's somewhere on the south end of St. Joseph, Mo, somewhere between Kovacs's and the Hoof & Horn. The place in question........ Man, it's something else. The best way I can describe it is a "red light flea market". A multi level building, concrete floors on the inside, walls looking very cheap, old wood paneling, what light there is comes from the occasional bulb from the ceiling and random holiday lights strung about. Where there aren't walls there are partitions made from old sheets and drapes. The "flea market" part is just that, booths selling old books, various types of swords and knives (those are the ones that I remember). The "red light" part of it, for lack of a better term, is also just that. Drugs, sex, you name it, you can get it there. Drug wise it's mostly just pot stuff, a lot of pipes & bongs for purchase, a strong smell and haze of pot in the air. Women coming up to you, attractive ones, not some nasty lady with meth mouth and skin like a suitcase. The ladies coming up and propositioning are all beautiful & exotic. Any time that I have the dream where I'm in the flea market full of blades & fornication & drugs I never really do anything. Yes, I interact with the people that talk to me. But taking any drugs or having any kind of kinky contact with the ladies? Nope, never happens. Sure I feel a little titillation being in this place, but I'm more of a watcher in this environment. I don't really do drugs, random sex with a strange lady ain't my thing. I ponder this only cause this is the first time that I've had different dreams but they're all in the same place. Don't think ever in my life I've had the same place pop up in my sleeping brain. It's not a frustration mind you, just surreal that my sleeping brain has concocted some sort of place like a regular watering hole that it goes back to that I just sit on the sidelines of. A modern day. Low rent Sodom and Gomorrah where all I do is witness & never interact, comfortable in my role as a watcher.

No comments: